Safe Takoma Workplan
- Youth development
- Safe Takoma is planning a pair of Rites of Passage programs, one for boys and the other for girls,
designed for youth aged 13-17, to be held at the Takoma Park Maryland and Takoma DC community centers
in November-December 2008. Please consult Safe Takoma's
Youth Development Program Plan.
- Safe Takoma is developing youth development courses targetted to ages 18-25 consisting of pre-apprenticeship training and a preliminary work skills course. These courses would be offered in the winter-spring 2009. They are outlined in the program plan linked above.
- Conflict-resolution / peer-mediation training
- 2008 summer-camp conflict resolution programming
- Communications and community awareness
- Community outreach, safety whistle distribution
Safe Takoma has conducted two safety-whistle distributions at the Takoma MEtro station, as part of
an August 5, 2008 National Night Out evening and on Thursday evening, November 6, 2008. We distributed
200 whistles at the first event and a similar number at the second, and — as important —
collected registration information and asking folks to sign up for patrols, the AlertTakoma
list, home inspections, etc.
- Information dissemination: Safe Takoma is disseminating safety information in the Old Takoma residential
neighborhoods. We will be distributing safety information provided by the Takoma Park Police Department, via
the neighborhood associations and indepently as needed,
door-to-door starting in mid-November, 2008, and have been working with the Takoma DC Neighborhood Association
to organization Takoma DC information dissemination.
- Neighborhood Safety Perspectives program plan